Pages

Thursday 24 January 2013

Late and overdue post


well it's about two months into the kenyan side, i thought i'd stay consistently inconsistent and write another post. I'll keep it brief and that will motivate me to write more later since i'll be feeling so internally guilty about not writing much the first time round (haha yeah right).

Well one exciting thing is that my hair IS long enough to chop off now! I have to put it in pig tails since a single ponytail isn't long enough, but hopefully they'll take pigtails, they're both about 8.5 inches right now, which means about 9 inches when i chop it. And then i'll shave my head! At mt.a, if that's still happening.

I wash my clothes by hand, and the laundry detergent gives my knuckles an allergic reaction, which is lots of fun. All our meals are cooked over a fire, and i often go to bed around 10 pm. We have a curfew of 7 pm, so i find things to do at home to kill time. This includes watching tv (all the host families have electricity and a tv, though that's about it as far as electrical appliances go), reading, playing cards or board games, and chatting with Joseph or my host family. Oh yeah and i guess now blogging to you losers.

So far i've seen giraffes, zebras, baboons, eagles, wilderbeasts, antelopes and lots and lots of chameleons. I even kissed one of the giraffes i saw at a giraffe center near nairobi (not really but you can feed them these little food pellets, and if you put it in your mouth they'll stick out their ridiculously long tongues and take it from you). Also, Kenyans are super scared of chameleons, and white people love picking them up, so it creates an interesting scene when you combine the two. Sometimes you find them on the road, run over by a donkey cart or car. Their flattened bodies remind me of Rango. Oh! And i even found a lizard of sorts in my bed one night, harmless but scary nonetheless.

Mid project is this weekend, at a campground built by past participants, called osutwa. It'll be nice to have a weekend off with the team, most weekends are quite packed and it's rare that the whole group chills together.

Ok i'll add photos and post more later, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment